Sunday, November 06, 2011

Family field trip to Blanco County!

As some of you might know and the rest of you will now, Hubby and I have a dream of ending up in the Texas Hill Country. Well being the dreamer that my husband is and the planner that I am we make a pretty good team. I like to plan ahead, know where we are headed, have direction, etc. So we have begun our look into Hill Country living. Now I know, I know, the move probably won't happen for a few years yet, but it's never to early to have options and direction, right? (Anything to get us closer to South Texas and I am all in!) :)

So on our way down to Heaven on Earth (Texas Hill Country) we made a stop at the Air Museum in Burnet, Texas. The museum itself wasn't open, but we thought it would be a good chance to stop and stretch our legs and we could see the big airplanes on the lawn.





Well to my delight there is actually an old family cemetery on the property as well. Woo-Hoo! While the boys looked at all the big planes I wandered over to the cemetery to check it out. It was really cool. The Magill family (The Dad being
a veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto) moved to Burnet County in 1850. The first grave is of the 15 year old son. The small cemetery is surrounded by a rock wall with these interesting cement steps and aluminum pipe hand rail to enter and exit.
A bit neglected and seemingly forgotten this cemetery marks the legacy of the Magill Family.








One of the big planes we saw...

It was quite chilly out there and Red convinced Daddy to haul him around because he didn't have his shoes on (he was letting his hurt toe air out).
The wind was blowing at a pretty good clip and even with jackets it was pretty nippy!








The boys were quite fascinated by them.











Here is the missile we saw - it was really cool. Daddy had the boys convinced if they touch it, it would shoot off. Boy oh boy did he have them going. LOL













There were a couple of big guns to look at as well.

Yep, he told them if they pulled the trigger it would shoot. Needless to say neither of them touched it until Daddy "tried" to pull the trigger. LOL I thought Red was gonna have a coronary. "We're gonna get arrested". LOL Poor Kid!







And an old fire engine.













This was a source of hilarity for me. A holder for the "gun book". I mean don't get me wrong - it's good that the soldiers running this giant weapon had a book to learn about it, but ummm...do you need to carry the book into the field? Is that in case someone forgets? "Oh, wait! Hold on there Enemy - let me look in the book real quick"! LOL












On the way back to the car we spotted a Caterpillar inching his way across a stick.

Pretty little booger isn't he?






A friend of ours from Bulverde came to have dinner with us on Thursday night. We were staying in Blanco and needless to say there is not a whole lot of options for dining out. (Not that that is a bad thing, don't get me wrong -I happen to love small town life.) My brother alerted us to the Blanco Bowling Club - they have a cafe and a 6 lane bowling alley in the back. Well we had some steaks and salads and chili and it was yummy! Then we headed back to the TV to watch the Rangers lose in that crazy back and forth game 5 of the 2011 World Series! Augh we were all on the edge of our seats for that one!




The boys and Daddy out and about in the Texas Hill Country...













We found a Historic Texas Cemetery while exploring near Stonewall Texas. There is a really cool road side park near the LBJ ranch. Behind the road side park is a beautiful church and cemetery. Well you know me I can't resist a cemetery. So we stopped for a little leg stretching and some cemetery hunting!













There were several headstones that were written in German. It was a great place. Very peaceful and pretty.








There was a playground next door so the boys had some fun playing pirates.













While I was walking through the cemetery I noticed there were lots of pecans - so I grabbed a bag and picked some up. Yummy! Stonewall pecans!

















Of course we had to do some geocaching while we were exploring - this little tiny nano was one of Momma's finds for the day! It was quite windy and chilly, but we sure had fun! We logged quite a few geocaches while in the area too! We always love a good hunt!




No comments: