I kept telling the boys that I didn't want birthday presents I wanted to go out and do acts of kindness for my birthday. But alas birthday morning dawned with cards and my favorite goodie these days - rips! Yum!
After grabbing some breakfast we loaded up the boxes and bags of goodies and out the door we went.
Off to do some kindness people! LOL
1.) Our first stop was the mailbox 0- we think our mail lady rocks and we thought some goodies and a note would tell her so! (She liked them too, she left us a thank you note the next day - how sweet!)
2.) Our next stop was the Meals on Wheels office - we left some cookies and a note of encouragement for the volunteers delivering that day.
3.) The next stop was our mechanic - we delivered some cookies to say Thanks for taking care of our cars!
4.) Next stop - the local tax office - I renewed my car tags and we handed out water bottles with notes attached. The ladies and gentlemen working were very thankful - guess they were thirsty!
5.)Next stop the apartment complex on our MOW route - we stopped to fill the bird feeder.
6.) While we were there we stopped to say Hello to Mrs. Ford (one of our clients) and give her a book of bible verses and a bottle of lotion.
7.) Next stop - USPS - gave some goodies to the mail lady. She was very surprised!
8.) Across the street from the post office we stopped at a day care and donated some books.
9.)Next stop the library (one of our favorite places!) we gave some cookies to the ladies - they were very thankful!
10.) We paid $2 on a random person's library fine.
11.) We also donated some Campbell labels for education extra 100 points inserts to the library's teen program.
12. When we left the library we stopped at the park and put out a "Valentines" Hunt!
I found this really cool idea on pinterest - Love bible verses - it is so precious I just had to fit it in some how. So I printed the verses and tied them to the goodies for the hunt!
We left a bag on the table and hid Valentines cups and bags with small toys and bible verse notes around the park.
Bug enjoyed putting them high on the slides!
And one was inside the tree. We left a note on the bag that said "Have a Valentine Hunt and enjoy this act of kindness".
13.) Next we headed down to the Dollar tree to make some kiddos happy! Bug picked a little wrestlers set picked a toy and we taped a $1 bill to the back.
14.) Red picked a police officer dress up set.
While we were there we picked out a bag of candy for our waiter, a couple of balloons and stuffed toys and a cat toy for other acts of kindness.
By this time we were starving, so we headed to Cotton Patch for lunch - yummy!
15.) Our waiter was our next target :) Along with a nice tip we left him a bag of "Riesen" candies. I wrote him a note that said "Thank you for all the "Riesens" you gave our family to smile on my birthday. Enjoy this treat and have a blessed day. I do hope it made him smile. Lunch was certainly yummy! :)
16.) After lunch we headed across the street to HEB. We handed pens to the cashiers with notes that said "Enjoy this act of kindness and have a blessed day". (We also handed out pens at Dollar Tree and Wal-Mart).
17.) We also bought an HEB gift card and handed it to a random person in line. (He was quite stunned as I turned and walked away).
18. Our next stop was Wal-Mart - we rounded up some stray baskets and pushed them into the store.
19.) On the way inside we stopped to recycle some plastic bags.
20. We handed out peppermints attached to a note that said "You're worth a mint" to the employees - the reactions were amazing, people were thankful, pleased, stunned, amazed...it was awesome to watch their faces light up. Red asked me at one point - "Why do people keep saying Thank You like that?" (Most were very expressive). We had a good conversation about how the employees work hard and they have to deal with a lot of people and sometimes the people aren't very nice to them. Or sometimes they are tired or don't feel good or something. It was great moment.
21. Have you ever made it to WM and figured out your little one needs a change and you just ran in for one thing so you didn't bring the diaper bag? LOL Well to honor all those Moms who have been their done that - diapers and wipes with an encouraging note on the changing tables (in the front and back bathrooms of the store).
22.) We also taped up a positive thoughts poster in the bathroom.
23.) Well if you know me, you know I love coupons! LOL So of course I had to share some coupons on my act of kindness day! LOL We taped coupons to several items. I figured sharing some savings was a good way to show kindness!
24.) On our way out of the store we stopped at the kiddy ride - Pumba - at the front. We taped some quarters and a note to the ride for someone to enjoy!
25.) The next stop was Target where we dropped off some plastic recycling.
Red also handed out "You're worth a mint" candies to all the ladies - that was a hit. He got a hug from one - much to his embarrassment! LOL
27. Next we went to our church to drop off some food for the food pantry.
28. We also gave the church secretary a bottle of water with an encouraging note.
29. And we left an encouraging note for the Children's Director - Ms. Teri.
30. Our next stop was the laundromat in town - we taped quarters to the dryer along with an encouraging note.
31. Then we headed over to Ms. Virgie's house (she is another of our MOW clients). Ms. Virgie loves her kitty, so we got her a new cat toy for him. She was so happy to see the boys and I and she was so sweet about the new toy. She couldn't wait to show it to "Tom". :)
32. We dropped a Free Kid's Meal Coupon in the mail for Cousin Davin.
33. Next stop the local hospital. We took balloons and stuffed toys with encouraging notes to patients. As we went up to the nurses desk we asked if their was a couple of patients that could use a visitor. The nurse guided us to an elderly lady that had broken both of her arms. :( She was very happy to see someone come visit and was so happy about her balloon and stuffed bunny.
The nurse then sent us over to another room - she said the patient was "grumpy" and could use some smiles. LOL We only spent a couple of minutes in her room, but when we left she had an ear to ear smile. Red gave her the frog and sports balloon and she was very pleased.
34.) While we were at the hospital we dropped off (in two different waiting areas) home made coloring and activity books with boxes of crayons.
35.) Coins on the vending machine at the hospital.
And one to grow on...we stopped by the local fire dept to drop off some cookies and an encouraging note (and we got a tour!).
Well there it is...my 35 acts of kindness (well 36 really) we did for my birthday. I have to say this was the best birthday yet! I had so much fun and it was just awesome to see all the smiles today.
Boy oh boy am I blessed...